Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Are You A Christian Or Not?


I would LOVE someone to correct me. Preferably someone with knowledge of Mormon doctrine, but ANYONE would be fine.

This morning, I read through one of the conference talks that I missed on Saturday afternoon and Elder Stanley G. Ellis (of the Seventy) commented on “the Lord’s way” of helping the poor:

“Even with the universally accepted desire to help the poor and needy, the Lord concurs in our goal but warns, ‘But it must needs be done in mine own way’ (D&C 104:16). Otherwise, in our efforts to help, we may actually hurt them. The Lord has taught us the need to promote self-reliance. Even if we are able to help, we should not give or provide what they can and should do for themselves. Everywhere it is tried, the world learns the evils of the dole. Truly God knows best.”

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but I'm pretty sure Elder Ellis is preaching false doctrine from the General Conference pulpit bc I don’t know of ANY scripture that gives conditions on giving to the poor. Conditions are PLACED UPON THE GIVER- if you have more than you need, you’re obliged to give the overabundance with which the Lord has blessed you to someone who needs it. Not once (to my knowledge) does it give conditions TO THE POOR or scrutinizes someone’s degree of capability before they’re eligible to receive help.

So basically, I was taught that you can be a Christian and give to the poor.... or not. Am I wrong?

Matthew 5:42—Give unto him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
The scriptures say that all a person needs to do is ASK you before you’re obliged to give.  It doesn’t say “After thou hast assessed that the man who hath asked thee for thine substance is not of sound mind and body and mentally or physically incapable of helping himself, only then shalt thou give alms”

Mosiah 4:24—And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.
Meaning, if you’re also poor and don’t have enough to give away, say to yourself, “If I had it I would give”.  
Not, “If I had it and deemed you to be worthy and deserving, I would give.”

I still feel bad for not giving my food to a random dude who pulled up to me in his car and told me he hadn’t eaten in two days.  Why would a Mormon Elder, a member of the Quorum of the Seventy, say such things as though it were from the Lord? And from the pulpit of General Conference, no less?!?!
I’m so happy that I know the scriptures well enough to, at least, see the discrepancy and ask the question.



2 comments:

  1. I took it as we are to give, we're to watch out for our neighbor, but we're supposed to do it in the Lord's way...which goes into the part about how we're not to be lazy..we're supposed to work, produce, be self-sufficient. I take it as: don't enable someone to sit there and do nothing when they are capable of doing something. Because then, they are hurting themselves.

    Give...but don't give to where we're hurting them by letting them get away with not taking care of what they can.

    Welfare fraud...not the Lord's way.

    SSI abuse...not the Lord's way.

    Personal note: my elder sister told my father it is his responsibility to take care of her because all his other daughters have husbands. He said no, and for her to get a job. He's willing to help in emergencies...always opens his wallet without making you feel stupid...but he wasn't willing to provide for her life while she sits at the computer on the internet all day. I don't think he was wrong. She needs to do what she can and then we can make up the difference. That's the Lord's way.

    Did that make sense? Or help?

    You posted a good question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand all the people who interpreted Elder Ellis' statement as a discouragement to allowing people to take advantage of your kind charity. The problem is that none of the examples given in defense of the Elder's talk have actually been "The Lord's Way". I have heard many statements this past week, all in favor of Elder Ellis' interpretation of the "Lord's Way" and none of them are supported in the scriptures or the doctrines of this Church. According to Christ, we are to give freely, without condition or condemnation- the scriptures say that we neither have the responsibility nor the right to assess a person's worthiness to receive charity or to asses their physical/mental capability to do it for themselves.

      With regards to your statement about your father not enabling your sister, you may deem your father wise for not supporting her idleness- but that is YOUR reasoning and we know that the Lord's reasoning is much higher than ours. Jesus gave us "The Lord's Way" when he told the parable of the prodigal son. The father gave his waywardly idle, youngest son his entire inheritance. when he spent every last cent and came home in rags, his father gave him a feast of the fatted calf. Before giving what was asked, the father didn't tell him that he'd receive the inheritance after repenting of his idleness and displaying his willingness to work hard. The father didn't tell him that he needed to get off his butt and make his own fortunes. The father simply gave what was asked. just like when your Heavenly Father told you that all you have to do is ask, and ye shall receive.

      I agree that work is in eternal principle and that we should all take joy in it. I agree that it's wrong to abuse the welfare system and take advantage of the kindness of strangers. That does not negate the fact that, according to Mormon doctrine, we are commanded give if we have it {[(PERIOD)]} Blessing will be heaped upon you and the person to whom you have just shown the light of Christ. Condemnation will be upon those who take advantage. God will hold them accountable, not us.

      Delete